Join our team! We are looking for a manager to join our farmers market team!
Farmers Market Manager
(32- 40 hours per week)
Position Overview: The Farmers Market Manager (FMM) is a critical member of the Fondy Food Center (Fondy) team—working with Fondy staff, vendors, and the community to execute successful and well attended farmers markets year-round.
Position Overview: The FMM is responsible for clear communications with the Fondy team, vendors, customers, and the community. The FMM works directly with the Director of Farmers Markets with all market activities to ensure smooth day-to-day operations of all Fondy run farmers markets. FMM tasks include the following: onsite at all farmers markets year-round, timely set-up and break down, customer service, vendor relations, financial transactions, record keeping, facility maintenance, cleanliness and aesthetics, inventory management, risk management and liability, safety and security, on-site programs and events, marketing and promotions, and daily compliance with established policies and procedures. As a team member, the FMM has responsibility in connecting with the community to ensure the populations and neighborhoods that Fondy serves are informed of the agency’s mission and programs.
Farmers Market Operations
- Communicates effectively with Director of Farmers Markets to develop and implement farmers market operations plans.
- Communicates consistently and regularly with farmers market customers, vendors, the City of Milwaukee, and community partners (in person, via email, via phone).
- Assists with part-time staff & volunteer management
- Identify opportunities to attend community events/meetings and do outreach to promote farmers markets; attend as approved by Executive Director.
- Performs daily duties to ensure smooth onsite operations at each of our markets; including set-up, break-down, clean-up, maintenance, and onsite programming (e.g., SNAP/EBT program, entertainment, cooking demos).
- Coordinates onsite maintenance and repairs, including snow removal, landscaping, plumbing repairs, etc; ensures cleanliness and aesthetics of market.
- Conducts supply inventories and ensures orders are placed when needed.
- Provides excellent customer service while processing sales and handles all market currency quickly, efficiently, and accurately.
- Accurately manages financial, demographic and other data using written forms and Microsoft Excel.
- Monitors vendors and ensures compliance with applicable agency and government policies.
- Completes incident reports and reports any safety hazards or incidents to Directors; handles security concerns according to plan.
- Assists with the execution of special events, promotions, and programs.
- Collects customer and vendor survey data as needed.
- Communicates customer and vendor issues to Directors promptly and professionally.
- Willingly completes other tasks as assigned to contribute to the market’s overall success.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings; communicate updates, opportunities, concerns as needed.
- Regularly (at minimum daily) maintain email, market phone, and calendar accounts.
- Maintain organized files and communications; properly file organization documents; scan and email appropriate documents.
- Participate in training opportunities as requested by Executive Director; identify training opportunities.
- Desired: Familiarity and interest with Fondy Farmers Market, Lindsay Heights neighborhood, Milwaukee local food systems, or related community-based work
- Good interpersonal communications
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Well-organized and able to multitask
- Reliable and possesses good time management
- Competence and comfort with handling market currency and transactions
- Basic computer and math skills; familiarity with Outlook, Microsoft Office, Google Drive desired
- Ability to perform to the physical demands of the job with reasonable accommodation, including sweeping/cleaning, lifting garbage into dumpster, and setting up market materials, not exceeding 50#
Compensation and Benefits
- Hourly wage for FMM range is $15-20 per hour, based on experience. Full-time employees are eligible for benefits (health, dental, vision), paid time off, retirement savings benefits, and paid training opportunities.
Job posting is active starting June 4th, 2021 with a desire to fill prior to June 26th, 2021, or as needed.
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to Katie Hassemer, Director of Farmers Markets, at email@example.com
Fondy Food Center is a 501c3 non-profit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We strongly encourage applications from people identifying as BIPOC, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ and others who are underrepresented in local food system work. Fondy connects Greater Milwaukee to local, fresh food – from farm to market to table – so that children learn better, adults live healthier, and communities celebrate cultural food traditions.
Our small team delivers big impact with the support of of our board of directors, volunteers, donors, community partners - all in partnership with our farmers and food producers.
Jennifer joined the team at Fondy in 2014, bringing with her experience as a registered dietitian, professional cook, and good, clean, and fair food advocate. Before joining Fondy she ran the Diabetes and Community Health programs at Milwaukee’s only American Indian Health Center. A longtime leader in the food movement, she works with others to build a more resilient and equitable food system. She also is an avid cook and gardener. Having graduated from the University of Illinois-Chicago and the Natural Gourmet Institute-New York, she now lives in nearby Riverwest with her family.
Farm Director & Chief Operating Officerspetro@fondymarket.org
Food is a universal experience; an act that unites everyone. This realization profoundly influenced Stephen’s decision to farm. He spent five years learning about soil in deep Wisconsin loam, Maine silt loam, and Georgia clay. Working on diverse farms in these soils instilled a strong sense of community, respect for the land and its inhabitants, and the knowledge needed to steward a farm. Stephen continued his farm odyssey by joining the Fondy in 2010. Working with immigrant and limited resource farmers to establish a 40 acre farm along Lake Michigan has been a dream come true. He loves puzzles. Current ones include: learning to speak Hmong, remembering how to speak Spanish, fitting new ideas into old techniques, and ensuring that farming is a viable and accessible vocation and avocation. Stephen graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a degree in Literature and Creative Writing. He can walk his two dogs at once, but only one cat at a time. The horse is another story.
Director of Farmers Marketskhassemer@fondymarket.org
Katie’s care for the environment, her personal food choices, and her desire to build community circled her into the world of sustainable agriculture in 2012. Wanting to get further into the world of knowing truly where her food came from led Katie to the University of Vermont to earn a Certificate of Sustainable Agriculture, where she learned all aspects of farming; from crop planning, planting and harvesting, to business planning and marketing. She found her way to Fondy in 2015 after a few more seasons working on certified organic vegetable farms in SE and SW Wisconsin, and managing the Tosa Farmers Market for 3 years. In 2019 she started her own market garden on her and her partner’s 22 acres north of Milwaukee. Katie is driven by supporting the local economy, local food producers, and, of course, local farmers.